Transfiguration Catholic Church
Welcome to Catholic Churches of
Transfiguration, Edgeley and Holy Spirit, Nortonville
“To be the presence of God in the Spirit
Through Jesus Christ.”
Two Small Rural Communities with a big heart committed
To Christ and His Church,
Striving in all earnest to grow in faith, worship and service.
- Both the parishes are administered by the above contact information
- For Regular Mass Schedules check the web at www.masstimes.org
- For occasional and special event Mass Schedules, contact the parish office phone or the pastor’s cell phone.
Early records, sometime before 1886, mention Father Hare coming by horse and buggy from Aberdeen to offer Mass for Catholic people living in this area. After 1886, Fr. Dillion, Fr. O'Callahan and Fr. Duffy came from Ellendale once a month to have Mass in people's homes and in a local school house, since there was no church yet in the Edgeley vicinity.
Finally in 1889, the Catholics living in this area incorporated to form "Transfiguration Parish," and they were served by priests coming from the surrounding towns of Ellendale, Lisbon, and Oakes until 1908. The Old City Hall was purchased and remodeled to become the first Catholic Church in Edgeley in 1904.
Then in 1910 a new woodframe church, with a capacity of 300, was built for $12,000. It served as the parish church until the summer of 1969 when the cornerstone for the present brick church was erected. This new church was completed and dedicated in the summer of 1970 by Bishop Leo Dworshak.
The first resident pastor was Fr. Calvin in 1915. Fr. Victor Long succeeded him until he retired in 1950. At the time he arrived here his parish territory was the largest in the Fargo Diocese (over 5,000 square miles). He traveled by foot, horseback and later with a Model-T Ford.
In 1934, Fr. Long acquired an airplane to travel to his many missions - Ashley, Ellendale, Fullerton, Forbes, Gackle, Jud, Monango, and Nortonville. He lived in the church sacristy from 1916-1918, when a small house was purchased. In 1930, he built the present rectory, where he lived until he retired. In 1937 a church bell was purchased and installed in the old church with this inscription on it, "Vox Dominit in Virtute (the voice of the Lord in Power). That same bell now stands in front of our present Church, where it rings at 12 noon and 6 p.m. daily, also on Sundays five minutes before Mass.
The next pastor of Edgeley was Fr. Joseph Hylden (1950-1960), who was very dedicated to the cause of Rural Life and who frequently had the First Communion Class grind up wheat from the farm to make hosts for their first Communion.
Fr. Cleo Jaillet succeeded him from 1960-61. next, Fr. Ulric Proeller was pastor from 1961-63; during that time the much needed Parish Hall and Catechetical Center were built.
Fr. Donald Cote followed him as pastor from 1963-79; he built the present church. Fr. Steven Dickinson then served as pastor from 1979-81. He was followed by the beloved Fr. Maurice Mueller (1981-93), who will be remembered for his fatherly pastoral leadership and his love for the Liturgy. Fr. Duaine Cote succeeded him as pastor of the Church of the Transfiguration and the Church of the Holy Spirit in Nortonville from July 1, 1993 to June 30, 2009.
Fr. Thai Arul Ph.D., who came as a Catholic Priest from India in 1997 to serve in the Catholic Diocese of Fargo, after completing almost 12 years as administrator initially and then as pastor in Larimore, ND., succeeded Fr. Duaine Cote from July 1, 2009. He is currently the pastor. He also serves as pastor of the Holy Spirit Catholic Church, Nortonville.
Deacon Neal Schlosser, ordained to Permanent Diaconate Ministry on November 17, 2012 assists the pastor in both parishes as a permanent deacon.
Transfiguration Catholic Church will celebrate 125 years of its faith journey in Edgeley and for surrounding communities on August 10, 2014.
If any information you are aware and are omitted in the history section, please contact the pastor to do an update. Thanks!
God Bless Everyone in your faith journey!